fiddle-leaf fig - Knowledgebase Question

salem, In
Question by dliebert
i just came from home depot & bought a fiddle leaf fig. we just painted our room the color dare devil & thught this would be pretty in there! how much light does this need & how much water? also can i put leafshine on the leaves? Thank's very much!! Brenda

0

I think you made an excellent choice - both in paint color and in plant material! The large dark green leaves of your fiddle leaf fig will look spectacular against the wall color. If you're new to Ficus, the fiddle leaf fig is a good place to start. They are one of the easiest Ficus to grow. Their large leaves collect a lot of light so you can place them in a place where the light is only moderate. But, for optimum growth, place your plant in bright filtered light or even an hour or two of direct sunshine. Check each week to see if your plant needs water. It's important to water throughly until water flows out of the drainage holes and then allowing the soil to dry an inch or two down from the surface before watering again. Don't allow your plant to sit in a saucer of water or root rot will develop. You can feed monthly while your plant is growing; bi-monthly during the winter months. I use a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer such as Peter's or Miracle Gro. Leafshine is not a good product to use on your houseplants. It can clog the natural openings in the leaves and slow or stop respiration (the exchange of fresh air and carbon dioxide). Instead of using a leaf shine product, simply wipe dust off the leaves with a soft, wet cloth. Enjoy your new fiddle leaf fig!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"