climbing roses - Knowledgebase Question

canton, Mi
Question by debra56
I have an arbor with a different kind of climbing rose on each side. This year both bloomed well in the early summer. Then these beetles ate every leaf and flower leaving only stems. It is putting out new leaves now I wonder if the plants are ruined. Also powdery mildew has been a problem with one of the bushes every year. Should I replace the bush with a hardier variety. Thanks

0

Some roses are more resistant to diseases than other. Rather than battling the problem each year, I'd replace the sickly rose with a more disease resistant one. I suspect that Japanese Beetles feasted on the leaves of your roses. You can help protect them with applications of a neem oil based product such as Rose Defense. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your roses!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"