Invasion of the plants! - Knowledgebase Question

canton, Mi
Question by debra56
I have two perennial gardens on hills. When I planted them it was very neat. Now after several years the plants have spread all over and it isn't so neat anymore. With the hot, humid summer I have been unable to keep it weeded. I feel like it's really out of control and just don't know what to do. I hate to dig up healthy perennials and just throw them away. Feeling overwhelmed. Thanks

0

When the weather cools in the fall, I would systematically attack at least one of the hillside gardens. Work from the top to the bottom and dig out the weeds, then divide your perennials. Sometimes you can simply reduce the size of a perennial plant by digging around the outside edges of the clump, removing several inches of stems along with their roots. Replant these divisions elsewhere or pot them up and give them to gardening friends and neighbors. The result will be the same perennial in the same garden spot, but it will be much smaller. Simply fill in the holes with fresh soil. You might even be able to enlist the help of your gardening friends and neighbors with the pay off being divisions of your perennials. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"