White fungus in my outdoor garden soil - Knowledgebase Question

Denham Springs, Lo
Question by mother22mons
I noticed some sort of white stuff that is all over my garden soil and around the bottom of my plants in one area only not throughout. Maybe a fungus because it doesn't look like mold. The best way I can describe it is like cottage cheese someone has stepped on and smashed. I have a variety of plants newly planted, appear to be fine. We haven't laid mulch yet. What should I do?

0

Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out between waterings will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, water early in the morning to allow the soil to dry before nightfall, and try raking the surface of the soil to help expose it to air and sunlight. Slime molds are perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"