Crape Myrtle with burned edges on leaves - Knowledgebase Question

The Woodlands, Te
Question by carolgalleg
I live just north of Houston, TX. In January of 2009, I planted two Crape Myrtles in my back yard about 10 feet from each other. Both have been treated exactly the same. One has lush dark green leaves and the other has far less leaves that are burned around the edges. I can send you a photo with an email address.
What do you think / suggest?
Thanks!
Carol

0

Usually crispy leaf margins indicate a water stress, a reaction to over fertilization, or a sunscald. I don't know which might be affecting just the one crape myrtle. Although they are in the same landscape area, it's possible the soil is slightly different - perhaps it doesn't drain as well as it could, due to a layer of hardpan beneath the soil surface. It might also be that one of the trees settled in well and adjusted after being planted and the second one is still struggling. I'd only be guessing at this point but I'm sure there is something slightly different with the affected tree and not with the other. You may have to put on your detective cap and do a little investigating. Check water drainage, sun exposure, wind exposure, etc. If the trees are planted in the lawn, excessive nitrogen when you feed your lawn; weed killers containing 2,4-D can affect broadleaf trees; an over zealous sprinkler, etc. Wish I could pinpoint the problem for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"