Identify Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Maitland, Fl
Question by b_perry
Hello - would you mind identifying this plant for me? Also, I have questions and pictures on my website.

http://home.rr.com/mikdarb

Thank You!!

0

The plant with the pink flower is a bromeliad. Bromeliads are popular houseplants in most other parts of the country but can be grown outdoors in Florida. Gardners like them because of their striking flower heads. The plants develop a rosette of leathery, strap-like foliage, forming a cup in the center of the plant. This cup is where you apply water. Bromeliads take several years to reach flowering stage, and once the flower head dies, the plant dies, too. Before it does, though, it produces little offsets which can be removed from the parent plant and planted on their own. General care of Bromeliads includes: shady conditions, regular watering and an annual feeding (use diluted liquid fertilizer). Water by filling the cup once every 1 month or so. Apply water to the soil only when it dries out. There are some Bromeliads that do not form a cup at the center of the plant. The care is the same, except you apply water to the soil rather than to the center of the plant.

The yellowing leaves are symptoms of insect feeding. Look on the undersides of the leaves - the insects may be gone but you should still see the damage they left. Simply cut the damaged leaves off the plant.

Enjoy your new bromeliad!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"