Is it bad? - Knowledgebase Question

Merced, Ca
Question by garden_fairy
Our grafted apple tree has root like nodes growing around the trunk. I don't know what kind of rootstock it is growing on if any. Is it a disease and/or pest? Should I remove it before it spreads to the other fruit in our mini orchard? I can provide photos if needed. Thank You.

0

Most apple trees are grafted onto vigorous rootstocks. Grafted apple trees often develop suckering growth which may be what you're describing. Usually this excessive growth eventually develops sprouts or shoots which should be cut off as soon as they develops. Eventually the area will callous over and become hard; no new roots or shoots will develop. However, there is another problem associated with grafted apple trees which is called bud proliferation. It's caused by a bacteria that is introduced during the process of grafting. It, too, can result in excessive growth near the graft. Neither of these problems are fatal to an apple tree, and no treatment is necessary; don't worry about it spreading. It won't. Hope this answers all your questions. Best wishes with your tree.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"