pillbugs in compost - Knowledgebase Question

Magnolia, Te
Question by gongzp1963
I got bunch of pillbugs in my compost.How can I get rid of them? Can I use killer?

0

I wouldn't use insecticides in a compost pile. You'll kill off the beneficial insects, and some chemicals can remain and taint your compost so wherever you use it, you'll be spreading the chemical. The pillbugs are busy helping to decompose the organic matter in your compost pile. They also indicate that your compost pile is not working as well as it could. If you turn it regularly, moving the warm center out to the edges and the cooler edges into the center where it will heat up, the pillbugs will leave. They like cool, moist conditions. Helping your compost heat up by keeping it turned will go a long way in reducing the number of insects you see.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"