Burrowing Toads - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by hilaryrwhite
Hello: I have toads burrowing in my containers and am concerned this might negatively affect my plants (I have had a scabiosa and a creeping jenny go limp and die back in [separate] pots post-toad burrowing). Do toads affect the root systems and how do I keep them from burrowing? Thank you!

0

Other than displacing the roots and the soil, the toads aren't actually harming your plants. Toads feed on insects rather than roots or plants. However, if their burrowing exposes the roots to air, they can dry out and that can make the plants wilt. About the only way to keep toads out is to plant as usual and then cover over the top of the soil with a physical barrier. You can use stones (such as gravel) or you can cover over the soil with birdnetting to keep the toad from accessing the soil. Best wishes with your plants.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"