Jade Plant Care - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by hilaryrwhite
Hello: I have a potted jade plant outside in a southeastern exposure. In the past ~4 weeks, its leaves have started to yellow and many have turned brown and shriveled (quickly). It gets new growth, though (some of which has also shriveled). August has been hotter (100 degree temps). I water it once a week, sometimes with fertilizer - same pattern as usual. What can I do for my plant? Thanks!

0

Jade plants are native to south Africa so they typically like dry, hot weather. However, hot summer sunshine can cause sunscald and result in the thick, succulent leaves shriveling up and dying. Root rot is another possibility. Although your plant is putting out new growth, some of the roots may be compromised and slowly dying while other, healthy roots are trying to support the plant. Weekly watering might be excessive, even in the hot weather. It's important to allow the soil to dry out between waterings rather than to water by the calendar. If the soil stays too moist, it can deplete the soil of oxygen and essentially suffocate the roots. Try watering a little less frequently and see if that doesn't help. I hope it does!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"