annuals - Knowledgebase Question

Hale, Mi
Question by jlb4662
the past two years my Marigolds and a few other annuals have been eaten by an insect, any ideas? Also, what is the difference between Supertunias and The Wave Petunia and which might take little or no deadheading?
Thank-you, Janet

0

Marigold are magnets to slugs and snails so I wonder if that's what's been feeding on your plants? Look for shiny slime trails on the leaves and flowers. If you find them, you can use one of the iron based snail baits such as Sluggo. It is harmless to people, pets and wildlife and any product not consumed by slugs or snails breaks down into simple iron which is absorbed by the earth.

Supertunias and Wave Petunias are similar in growth habit: Wave petunias are low-growing, spreading varieties that make excellent ground covers. They grow up to 22 inches high. Most of the Supertunias are only 6 to 10 inches high, but can trail up to 2 to 3 feet long. There are just a few varieties that have a mounding and cascading habit--reaching 24 inches tall with a 24-inch spread.

Neither the Supertunia nor the Wave Petunia requires deadheading (or pinching back old flowers) to produce new flowers. Due to the vigorous growth of both petunia types, they need to be given plenty of water. It is recommended that the Supertunias receive liquid fertilizer once a week, and the Wave Petunias could go every other week.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"