trimming - Knowledgebase Question

chesapeake beach, md
Question by lmhendry1
I planted ornamental grass last spring along with daylillies. Do I need to trim them for the winter monthes? If so, when and how much?

0

You won't need to trim anything until after your first frost. At that time you can remove the spent foliage on your daylilies and your ornamental grasses. Some gardeners like to leave the dead foliage on the plants to add winter interest to the garden; others prune it all away and spread a thick layer of organic mulch over the garden bed. Either way, your plants should sprout up again next spring. If you decide to prune this fall, take everything down to ground level. If you decide to leave the foliage alone for winter interest, simply pull it away from the plants in early spring, before new growth begins. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"