transplanting - Knowledgebase Question

Clay, Ne
Question by patpanto
I'd like to transplant some rose bushes and 2 mini lilac bushes. Can I do in now and what should I do to continue healthy growth?

0

If you can wait another month when the weather is cooler, your plants won't suffer too much transplant shock. If you move them now, while the weather is still hot, they will take a little longer to re-establish their root systems. During this adjustment period, expect to see some wilting and some leaf drop. I think digging in moist soil is easier so water your plants well the day before the move. The roots will be concentrated in the top 12-18" of soil and extend out past the longest branch. Start your digging there and work down and in towards the center. When you've gotten the plants out, replant as soon as possible, making sure they are resting at the same soil level as they were before. Water each one well after planting to help settle the soil, and be sure to water deeply twice a week until the first frost. Good luck with the move.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"