tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

mims, Fl
Question by brandysmith_
I have tomatoe plants growing, 4ft tall no flowers. my lady friend has small new plants from seed and one that is 5ft tall has flowers no fruit......will these plants produce fruit? We are in zone 9 and I have grown tomatoes year around but my plant has no flowers, her had fruit before it got real hot, now it has had flowers all summer but no fruit....what are we doing wrong? Brandy in Fl.

0

I think you're planting at the wrong time. Tomatoes won't produce well during the hot summer months. The pollen can become sterile when temperatures are over 90F so even if the plants flower, they may not produce fruits. However, in the cooler months of the year the plants will flower and produce fruits. In your region it is recommended that tomatoes be planted in February or March for harvest before hot summer weather arrives, or in August-September for harvest before winter weather arrives. Since you grow tomatoes all year around you'll have to expect the plants to struggle during the summer months but resume growth and production in the fall and again in the early spring. Not much you can do about the weather, except to wait it out - which is what your tomato plants are doing. I hope you eventually have a terrific harvest!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"