begonia - Knowledgebase Question

mims, Fl
Question by brandysmith_
I have a begonia plant, how do I get new growth? My lady friend had one in a pot I planted it for her, a piece broke off, I put it in water and started a new plant. Her's have slowly gotten tall and broken off. I have noticed that at the base of the stalks new leaves have started to grow. Her plant was so full and pretty and it just seams to be going away. help..brandy

0

I know it's disappointing but the fleshy stems of begonias can break off because of the weight of the leaves on the stems. Any movement, from the wind to physically touching the stems can make them drop off. You can try pinching out the tips of the stems to keep them shorter and to encourage more stems to develop. The shorter the stems, the less weight they will have to carry and the sturdier they will be. Make sure the plants are getting bright light. Too little light can make them leggy (long, skinny stems). Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"