pruning climbing rose - Knowledgebase Question

Pine Beach, Ne
Question by matthewpaton
A climber on the side of my house is too high and the canes are heavy and 8 to 10 years old. When and how short can I cut the canes.

0

Your climber should be pruned in late winter or early spring, just as new growth is beginning. Pruning encourages new growth so if you prune them now, in late summer, the new growth won't have a chance to harden off and can die back during the winter months. So, the best advice is to wait until late winter or early spring to do your pruning. Start by completely cutting out any dead or non-productive canes. Thin out any canes that are crossing or rubbing other canes. Then prune the remaining canes down to a leaf bud (swelling on the cane). I prune mine so the canes are at random lengths. New growth will then appear all over the plant and you'll have a better chance of lots of flowers throughout the plant later in the summer.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"