dividing aspapragus - Knowledgebase Question

Stamford, Co
Question by Taylor251
My asparagus bed has plants about 12 inches apart. Two of the 12 plants are females with red berries now. Are the plants too close together? Should I get rid of the females so I don't keep getting baby plants? What's the best time of year and process for digging up and dividing the bed?

0

Asparagus crowns grow best when they are 18-24 inches apart and we generally dig and divide the plants every 4-5 years. If you decide to dig your plants, simply remove every other asparagus plant and transplant them to a different part of the garden, spacing them about 2' apart. Late fall or early winter is the best time to transplant asparagu. You don't need to dig up the female plants. Both male and female plants will produce edible spears - you only noticed the berries because the female spear was not harvested and it formed ferny foliage and berries. When you plants are old enough to harvest the spears, you won't know which is male and which is female unless you allow them to mature and produce foliage (and berries). Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"