planting bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Murrells Inlet, So
Question by Susiet05
Have several different questions: 1) can you plant bulbs in soil that we call gumbo here in SC? 2) in thinking of next summer what are good heat resisant flowering plants? Back yard is all hot sun--penta plants do fairly well-remember we have gumbo soil. 3) what is a good plant for a pot outside for the fall/winter?

0

Gumbo type soils hold too much water for extended periods of time and the bulbs can rot. I'd either plant the bulbs in containers so you can control the soil type, or deeply amend the planting bed with copious amounts of compost or other organic matter prior to planting the bulb.

Heat resistant plants are those that are considered drought tolerant. Some that come to mind include : Cosmos sulphureus (orange cosmos), Gaillardia pulchella (blanket flower), Gomphrena globosa (globe amaranth ), Leonotis nepetifolia (annual lion's) Phaseolus acutifolius (tepary bean), Portulaca grandiflora (moss rose), Zinnia elegans (zinnia) and Zinnia haageana (Mexican zinnia). Succulents include: Agave americana (agave ), Aloe saponaria (soap aloe), Aloe vera (medicinal aloe), Euphorbia tirucalli (pencil tree), Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi (South American air plant), Opuntia humifusa (hardy prickly pear), Stapelia spp. (carrion flower) and Tradescantia pallida (purple heart).

The traditional annuals for fall color include pansies, snapdragons, ornamental kale and primroses. All with flower nicely in the cool winter weather.

Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"