fast growing shade trees - Knowledgebase Question

Lead Hill, Ar
Question by whitewolfieg
I live in Northern Arkansas (Diamond City) and have recently cleared the yard next to me. I would like to plant some fast growing shade trees. The problem is the soil is poor,dry and shallow (lots of shelf rock). I do not want to plant cedar or silver maples (the roots on the ground are a nightmare to mow around). I am considering tulip poplars and southern magnolias. thank you

0

Tulip poplars and southern magnolias are good choices for your gardening region. Magnolias have shallow roots, though, and they might be problematic in years to come. Of course the fastest growing shade trees are maples but the roots are invasive. Others to consider include buckeye and sycamore. All will adapt to the native soil and you can encourage deep rooting by deeply watering your new trees while they are young and have vigorous root masses. Good luck with your new trees!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"