northern Catalpa tree - Knowledgebase Question

Port Huron, Mi
Question by frszcze
I have a Northern Catalpa tree. The leaves are turning a rusty brown. I did see a few japanese beetles on it but they did not stay. It is planted in a dunny location and gets enough water. It is a young tree grown from a seed about five years old. What could be causing this? No other bugson the tree.

0

Catalpa trees are generally disease free but a stressed tree can develop fungal disease. Usually you don't need to spray anything to control the disease. As the leaves fall you can rake them up and remove them from the garden. If new leaves begin to develop spots next spring you can spray your tree with a fungicide. It's easy to spray a small tree but as your tree matures you won't be able to effectively spray it so it if is prone to disease every year, you may want to consider replacing it with a healthier specimen. Hope your tree perks up!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"