Crabgrass, lots of Crabgrass - Knowledgebase Question

Snellville, Ge
Question by jmplan99
I had a very nice veggie garden planted and by mid July the crabgrass has completely taken over the garden! This is not due to a lack of maintenance on our part! My question is: how do we get rid of the crabgrass and keep it from coming back?

0

The good news is that crabgrass is an annual weed and it will die out at the end of the summer. The bad news is that it will leave lots and lots of seeds in its wake which means the potential for it to sprout again next spring. Probably the best approach in a veggie garden is to cover over the bare soil with weed barrier which blocks the sun and keeps weed seeds from germinating. You can cut holes for transplants or slits if you plant your veggies from seeds. The weed barrier material should keep your garden weed free next year. For right now you can try suffocating the crabgrass by placing cardboard or several thicknesses of newspaper over the tops of the weeds. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"