Trimming Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Sammamish, Wa
Question by eternitybase
I have candy tuft, and I know that I am supposed to shear them, but how much? Do I top them off or cut them totally down? Also I have fox glove with shoots that are 4 feet tall. The flowers are gone, can I cut that off? I have smaller shoots at the base. My pittosporum were planted this spring, and all the leaves have dropped, they have plenty of water, south exposure, what could be happening?

0

You can shear your candy tuft back by about one half and the plants will develop new growth. Once the foxglove flowers are spent you can cut the flower stalk down to foliage level. I'm not sure why your pittosporum have lost all their leaves. Sometimes transplant shock can cause wilting and dropping leaves but by mid summer yours should have developed healthy new leaves. Try pruning them back to see if that helps encourage healthy new growth. Hope you see an improvement soon!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"