fertilizers - Knowledgebase Question

swedesboro, Ne
Question by williambucke
fall is coming and i would like to know what fertilizers would be used in the flower beds and vegetable gardens also my tomatoes this year started to turn brown early and dry up, i also did not over water the plants

0

Plants can only use fertilizers when they are actively growing so I wouldn't feed them at the end of the growing season but in the early spring when they are just beginning their growth. You can use a general purpose 10-10-10 in granular form. These are generally time release and will slowly feed your plants throughout the growing season. If you'd like to amend your soil with compost this fall, the beds will be ready for planting in the spring and the soil will be nutrient rich and ready to help your plants grow.

I can't say for certain what happened to your tomato plants. Early blight and late blight are common with tomatoes and the best defense against these diseases is to rotate your crops, planting tomatoes in different garden spots each year, and planting the most disease resistant varieties you can find. The plant tags or seed packages will state whether or not the tomatoes are disease resistant.

Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"