IGUANAS - Knowledgebase Question

Ponce, Pu
Question by missyponce
Hello,
There are iguanas in my yard/patio and nothing that I plant stys alive, they eat everything that has a flower, they even ate my rochids.
Is there anything I can do to scare them away?

0

Since iguanas are native species, there's really nothing you can do to control them. The SPCA Wildlife Care Center and the Green Iguana Society suggest that you attempt to make your yard less iguana-friendly. Absolutely do not feed the iguanas that come around. Even if you do not mind their presence, your neighbors might and feeding them will only encourage them to stick around. The Wildlife Care Center also suggests eliminating protective cover such as dense thickets and piles of landscape rocks or wood from your yard. Another option is to line sheet metal along the base of trees to hinder the iguanas from climbing them and persuade them to move on and out of your yard. Protect your plants with screens or wire cages. You can also protect your plants by spraying them with a combination of 3 cloves of garlic and 4 red hot peppers mixed with a bucket of water. Another deterrent might be something as simple as owning a dog. Barking or chasing (of the iguana) by the dog might prompt the iguana to move on. Wish I had other suggestions to offer. Good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"