collecting seeds for planting next year - Knowledgebase Question

marietta, Ge
Question by nancymcc9
how do i collect seeds from my plants this year to plant next spring? What do I have to do to them to overwinter?

0

Saving seeds is fairly easy. Wherever there is a flower, there is potential for a seed pod. After the petals fall from the flower you will see a swelling which indicates seeds are in the process of being produced. When that seed pod turns a tannish brown the seeds are ripe and ready for harvest. Cut the stem below the seed pod and place the entire thing in a paper envelope. The seeds will fall out as the seedpod splits open. This may take a few days after harvest. Use a pair of tweezers to remove the old pods and stems, leaving the seeds in the envelope. Seal the envelope and place it in a glass jar with a lid or into a sealable plastic bag and store it in a cool, dry place. Next spring sprinkle the seeds over the prepared bed and you should get lots of new plants. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"