The Best Time To Water Bulb Flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Evanston, Il
Question by franconeri20
When and how often is it best to water bulb flowers?

0

How much water and how often to apply really depends upon your soil type and the weather. In general, landscape plants need about an inch of water per week, applied slowly so it has a chance to percolate down and wet the entire root mass. Depending upon how deeply your bulbs are planted, you'll want the water to trickle down into the soil surrounding the bulbs and their roots. I water twice a week in the summertime, giving the soil a thorough soaking. You might try using a soil probe to see how deeply the water is penetrating after you've watered. A slender stick or a metal rod (I use a length of rebar), pushed into the soil will give you some idea of how moist the soil is. The rod will be easy to push down into moist soil but will give some resistance when it reaches dry soil. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"