How to get rid of Cat Urine in Soil - Knowledgebase Question

Simi Valley, Ca
Question by sgliner321
I have been digging out old soil from my 2'x6'planter and am almost to the bottom. The neighboring cats continue to urinate in it and have been for several years. I want to start with fresh soil and plant a flowering garden, but how do I get rid of the urine smell and keep the cats out for good! Frustrated in CA. Sylvia

0

There isn't much you can do about the urine odor other than to replace the soil, try to flood the odor out, or plant fragrant plants to mask the odor. You can't blame cats for wanting to dig in fresh, sweet soil, but it can be bothersome to have them digging in your planter bed. Cats are creatures of habit. The key is to break that habit by making their experience in your flower bed an unpleasant one. You can put up a temporary barrier until they learn not to visit your garden, or you can place decorative stone or large pieces of bark over the soil surface between your plants to keep cats from digging. An inexpensive deterrent consists of stakes placed around the inside of your planter bed, with nylon fishing line strung from stake to stake. Keep the line about 6" above the soil surface and make sure it criss-crosses every 8". Cats entering the bed will quickly exit because they'll be afraid of getting their legs caught. Once the cats associate fear with being near the flower bed, they'll stop visiting. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"