Maintenance Schedule - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by jkwhit1218
I live in Charlotte, NC. We recently moved into our home and the yard is not in very good shape. Can you suggest a plan for me to get the yard looking healthy? I just need something that I can reference throughout the year to know when and what needs to be done. The grass is fescue...but mostly its just weeds!

0

Good lawn care includes regular feeding, watering and mowing. A thick, healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds so here's how to get the upper hand: Turfgrass needs to be watered once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Deep soakings are preferable to daily sprinklings. Plan on applying one inch of water per week to your lawn. You can measure how much water your sprinklers put out by setting some empty cat food or tuna cans on the lawn and running the sprinklers. Start with running them for 15 mintues and then checking to see how much water has collected in the can. Your goal is a half inch if you water twice a week or one inch if you water once a week. The time it takes to deliver the proper amount of water is the length of time you should run your sprinklers. If water begins to run off the lawn before you get the required amount of water in the cans, plan on running for a while, turning the water off to allow it to soak in, then turning the water back on until the sprinklers have run for the correct amount of time. You can use a Turf Builder weed and feed product if you have weeds in your lawn, or you can simply dig the weeds up and reseed any bare areas. Plan on feeding your lawn in April, and in September to late November or early December. Use turf builder with weed control if you still have broadleaf weeds in your lawn in mid-summer. Mow as often as necessary to keep your lawn at 1 1/2 to 2 inches in height. The general rule of thumb is to remove no more than one third of the grass blade when you mow. So, mow when it is 3 inches high and take off no more than one inch of grass.

Clemson University has a publication you might want to download and print for future reference: http://www.clemson.edu/extensi...

Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"