English Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Jeffersonville, In
Question by mtzelli
My front yard is a hill and is coverd with ivy! I hate it! How do I remove it and repair the lawn?

0

Ivy is not easy to remove so plan on a real commitment to the project. You can dig it out but any root left in the ground will sprout into a new plant. I've found the most successful way to remove ivy is to cut it off at ground level and then immediately spray or paint the stubs with a vegetation killer such as Round Up or Brush B Gon. These products will be transported down to the roots connected to those particular stems and will kill that portion of the roots. However, as new stems appear from underground roots, they need to be treated, too. It's important to work small patches at one time so you can immediately apply the herbicide while the cut is fresh. Wish there were an easier way to remove ivy from the landscape!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"