sweet williams - Knowledgebase Question

tarrytown, Ne
Question by pattyhalp
I purchased and planted sweet williams in the spring. The plant grew very large and looks beautiful. The problem, no flowers. The Sweet Williams are in a planter, they still looks beautiful and green.
Why didn't they bloom this year?
Is there a chance that they may bloom next year?
Thanks.

0

Sweet William is normally free flowering so I'm not sure why yours didn't flower for you. They need lots of sunshine so if they got too much shade that might keep them from blooming. About the only other thing that might keep them from flowering is an excess of nitrogen fertilizer. Too much fertilizer can result in lush, green growth, but at the expense of flowers. Sweet William can be a perennial or biennial, depending upon cultivar. Perennials return each year and flower each summer; biennials grow vegetatively the first year and flower the second year. Either one should winter over and grow and flower for you next year. These plants self-seed so even if they are biennials, you should have lots of new plants the following spring. Best wishes with your Sweet William.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"