tree dying - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, Co
Question by msholiday
bark is split and fallen off, also leaves have black spots and falling off, tree looks like dying,live in denver colo.

0

Tree bark can split and crack because of winter weather; freezing and/or sunscald are the usual culprits. The winter damage can cause the bark to peel and fall off the following spring and summer. There's not much you can do to repair the damage but you might want to consider using a tree wrap to keep this from happening again. If your tree is healthy it should callous over the damage and develop new bark. Black spots on the leaves can indicate a fungal disease but without knowing what kind of tree it is, I'm not sure how to suggest conrolling the problem - or preventing it from happening again next year. It may be weather related and it may not appear again next year. At this point, just rake and remove the fallen leaves to keep the fungal spore from splashing up and reinfecting the tree. I hope your tree recovers!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"