hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Altamonte Springs, Fl
Question by irissully
I have some potted hibiscus and they keep dropping their buds. I do not see any sign of bugs on them. Could it be the result of too much water?

0

Too much water can cause the flower buds to drop prematurely, but there's also a chance that the flowers are being attacked by a bud worm. Bud worms are little larvae that get into the unopened flower buds and feed on the flower parts which causes the damaged flowers to fall off the plant. The only way to determine whether or not bud worms are damaging the flowers is to open a few of the dropped flower buds and check to make sure the flower is perfectly formed inside the unopened bud. If the petals are ragged or you see other damage, bud worms are the culprits. If the flowers are perfectly formed, water stress is the reason for the dropped flower buds.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"