House Plant Question - Knowledgebase Question

Hugo, Mi
Question by rockyapm598
A couple of my house plant (pathos ivy) and another plant have a sticky film over the leaves. My sister had the same thing on a couple of her plants.
Do you know what this is, and how do I get rid of it?
Thank you,
Andy

0

The sticky substance is probably the result of insects feeding on your houseplants. Scale insects and mealybugs are common insects on houseplants. Both attach themselves to stems and leaves and feed on the fluids within the plants. When they feed they excrete a sticky substance we call honeydew. If you can control the insects, and rinse off the honeydew, your plants should no longer develop honeydew. Check the stems for cottony masses or brownish bumps on the stems and where the leaves meet the stems. Either pest can be carefully peeled off or you can dab each pest with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will dissolve the protective shell and kill the pest. In a few days they will either fall off the plant or you can peel them off with a fingernail or the tip of a pencil. Good luck with your houseplants.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"