Pumpkin - Knowledgebase Question

Davenport, Fl
Question by lidmario11
A week ago I made a question about pumpkin and I receive from you an answer and very important things about. Thak you,but my concern was and is that the yelow flowers open today and tomorrow are on the grass,follen. Why ? If no flowers no fruits, right?

0

You're right, no flowers, no fruits. But, squash blossoms last only a day and they detach themselves from the vine naturally. If you look closely at the stem where the flower once was, you'll notice that it looks like it was cut off with a knife. The falling flowers is normal.

Squashes have separate male and female flowers on the same plant. So, to produce fruit, pollen from male flowers must be transferred to the female flowers. The female blossoms have what looks like a small swelling behind the flower petals. Male blossoms have long-stalked stamens, each with pollen-filled anthers. Visiting bees and other types of insects provide the transfer of pollen from the male to the female blossoms. The male flowers of squash often bloom and wither before the female blossoms start appearing early in the season but eventually your plants will produce both male and female flowers. Once blossoms of both sexes are opening at the same time, and if there is still no fruit formation, there may be poor pollination. Sometimes Mother Nature needs help. If you have a shortage of pollinators, you can transfer pollen from male to female blossoms with a small watercolor paintbrush. Research has shown that growing cilantro, yarrow, wild buckwheat, white sweet clover, tansy, sweet fennel, sweet alyssum, spearmint, Queen Anne's lace, hairy vetch, flowering buckwheat, crimson clover, cowpeas, common knotweed and caraway attract natural pollinators and other beneficial insects including natural predators to gardens. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"