New roots on hyacinths - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
The foliage on my hyacinths is long gone but I noticed that the bulbs have some serious roots. When I dig them up to put in the refrigerator do I leave the roots? These are new roots, not the ones from when I first bought the bulbs. I know this because when the leaves died I changed the pot because it was very small.

0

I think your hyacinth is a little confused. Is it a bulb that was forced into bloom? Sometimes florist's force bulbs to bloom out of season by manipulating temperatures and exposure to the light. Once a bulb has been forced to bloom out of season it can take a year or two for it to get back into a normaly cycle and bloom at the right season. Since your hyacinth is developing roots, it means it is ready to produce a flower and some leaves. Just leave it potted up as it is and water as usual. I suspect it will develop a flower this fall instead of waiting until next winter. Just let it do its own thing. When the flower fades cut the flower stem off but leave the foliage alone to die down on its own. When it does you can dig the dormant bulb, set it in the refrigerator with the rest of your bulbs and replant in December or January. Good luck with your hyacinth.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"