jade growth - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by artifact_guy
I just asked a question on my jade plants and got an answer that helped. thanks. the question I have is on jade growth. For the past 17 years, the plants have not really grown much bigger than the 10

0

What you've described is the standard growth habit for the Jade plant (Crassula argentea). They are slow growing which makes them perfect for bonsai but without pruning can grow up to three feet high and generally have a bare tree-like trunk. Jade plants will remain small if they are root bound (which, after 17 years of barely any growth, yours probably are). They will put out more growth if you pinch out the growing tips of each of the branches or stems. Since you want them to become larger, simply start pinching out the tips of the stems. Since you have more than one plant you can experiment with different pruning techniques on each one - pinch off all new growth on one of them, and pinch only some of the new growth off on another. You'll eventually discover which technique works best for you, and produces the look you want.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"