watering plants and lawn - Knowledgebase Question

bklyn, Ne
Question by bustercindy5
how often should I water my plants and lawn during the summer I water each day I allow the water sprinkler to shower my potted plants and plants in the ground my question is am I watering too much.

0

Daily watering might be excessive. The answer on how much and how often to water really depends upon your soil type, how well it holds water, and what plants you are growing. Containerized plants can dry out quickly in the summertime and daily watering might be required; plants in the ground generally do not need daily watering unless they are growing in extremely fast draining sandy soil. In general, landscape plants and lawns need about one inch of water per week to maintain good health. You can water deeply once or twice a week and your plants should be happy. I water every 3-4 days and apply water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Since your plants are used to daily sprinklings, I'd continue to water as usual until fall weather arrives. When the weather cools, cut back on the frequency of water applications but increase the amount of time you let the sprinklers run.

Next spring start a new watering schedule. Water once a week during the cooler spring months and once every 3-4 days during the hot summer months. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"