infested tree - Knowledgebase Question

Omaha, Ne
Question by Cats402
I have a very large tree in back. A large branch was cut off too close to the trunk sometime back. The wound is rotting and there are wood ants and snails making the situation worse. I already tried the commercial cover I got from a nursery. It came off. But even before it did the pests got through it and around it. What can I do?

0

As long as there is rotting wood, insect pests will be attracted to the wound. You may need to make a clean cut to remove the rotting wood. Generally a healthy tree will callous over a wound and no wound dressing is necessary, but in this case, if the decay is extensive, you may need to hire a professional arborist to clean the wound and dress it. Wish I had a simple solution but without seeing the tree and the damage, it's a difficult call. I hope your tree recovers.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"