Have I lost my Hydragneas? - Knowledgebase Question

South Houston, Te
Question by l_delacerda
I planted 3 early this spring. Good garden soil, correct planting depth,ammendments,fertilizing, etc. Morning & noonish sun, afternoon shade. They had bloomed, put on more buds, etc, and now have slowly shriveled up to nothing but about 3-4 stems, no leaves, brown blooms, nothing but stems. I know they are decidious, but for August in my zone, they should be still alive. 2 much sun or water?

0

It sounds as though the sun exposure is correct and you're right - they should not be shriveling up at this time of year - so I think there's a water stress issue going on here. Too much water can drive oxygen out of the soil and actually suffocate the roots. If there is root rot, the roots will be mushy and off color. So, my advice is to dig around the roots and check to see how moist the soil is, and whether or not the roots look healthy. (Healthy roots are creamy white inside; dead or diseased roots will be brown, black or rusty looking.) If the roots look healthy, cover them back up. About all you can do is to prune your hydrangeas down and wait for new growth. Hope it comes up strong and healthy.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"