poinsettia spotted - Knowledgebase Question

san pedro, Ca
Question by ninalu2006b
I have a very loyal poinsettia, now is full of leaves but they start getting some grayish spots, but otherwise she looks healthy. What is wrong?

0

It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problems without the opportunity to inspect the plant so I'll have to offer some educated guesses. Feeding by thrips can cause spots on the leaves so check the undersides of the leaves for signs of these pests. Another possibility is Xanthomonas leaf spot. On poinsettias the symptoms begins with tiny, dull gray, water-soaked areas on the leaves. Small, angular tan spots with a yellow halo (surrounding the tan spot) develop. As the disease progresses, spots turn darker brown and coalesce. Like all bacterial diseases, Xanthomonas leaf spot of poinsettia is spread by water splash from overhead watering. High humidity, warm temperatures and plants spaced too closely favor rapid disease development and spread. Try to keep the leaves as dry as possible and use a copper based bactericide to help reduce the spread of the disease.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"