fruit trees in pots in So. California - Knowledgebase Question

Buena Park, Ca
Question by muisem
I want to grow fruit trees on my patio. What varieties would grow well and what siz of pot do I need? Do I need pairs of trees?

0

There are some nice fruit trees grafted onto dwarfing rootstock that will grow well in containers. As long as your patio offers full sunshine your fruit trees will thrive. Citrus trees are self fruitful so you only need one. Apple trees such as Fuji apples have a relatively low chill requirement and will probably set fruit for you. While they are somewhat self-fertile, you'll get a much better crop if you have a second apple tree. If you want two different types of fruit, why not plant apricot, pear or plum, and two apple trees? I'd suggest 'Ein Shemer' and 'Anna' apples rather than Fuji. Both are available on dwarfing rootstock and will only need a 10'-12' diameter spot per tree. The size of the container depends upon the mature size of the tree. Check the label on the tree and then choose a container that's about one third as tall as the mature size of the tree. If the tree grows 5-6' tall, choose a container that's 2-3' tall. Enjoy your edible landscape!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"