spider infestation - Knowledgebase Question

Reseda, Ca
Question by nrphill
my tomato plants have spider webs and something on the leaves- orangish- red mites . this is killing the plants, is there something I can plow into the soil or treat the soil with this year so that I won't have this problem next year? The only thing I can see in the store is a spray for the leaves, possible European red spider mites??? Thank you for any suggestions

0

I can't tell without looking at the spider mites what species they might be, but regardless of their nationality, all spider mites do the same kind of damage to plants. Spidermites thrive in hot, dusty areas and thrive when landscape plants offer these growing conditions. The best control is avoiding them in the first place by periodically hosing off your plants during the growing season. A strong stream of water on the upper and lower leaf surfaces and the plant stems will rinse them off and discourage them from taking up residency. Mulching over the bare soil with an organic mulch will help keep the soil moist and as the water evaporates it will make the stems and undersides of the plant leaves less attractive to mite populations. Insecticidal soaps are effective against spidermites and if you treat your tomato plants now, you'll kill off the current population. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"