Uprooted tree - Knowledgebase Question

Sun Lakes, Ar
Question by jwegener2000
A recent storm has up rooted my Mesquite tree about 6 inches at the base and is now leaning over in about a 35 degree angle at the top. The base is about 8-10 inches in diameter. Is there a way I can upright this? Is it worth saving?

0

Mesquite trees are shallow rooted and you should be able to pull it upright and stake it. In about a year it should root properly and you can remove the stakes. Here's how: You'll need 3 stakes (metal or wood, about 10-12" long) and some wire. You'll also want some rubber tubing (available at Home Depot) or a few lengths of old garden hose to string over the wire to protect the bark of your tree. Pound the stakes into the ground 4-6' from the trunk of the tree, in a triangle. Each of the stakes will be individually attached to the trunk with the protected wire so the stakes should be equal distances from each other. Attach the wire firmly to the stake, wrap it around the trunk 3-4' from the ground (be sure the tubing is situated so it keeps the wire from digging into the bark), then take it back to the stake, wrap it around the stake and then wrap the end of the wire around the first wire (the one that's pulled tense up toward the tree trunk). Do this with all three stakes, making sure there's equal tension on all wires and that they are firmly attached but not so tight as to pull the tree in any single direction. There should be a little play in the wires, so the tree can move a bit, but not too much play. Be sure to check the loops around the trunk every month or so and loosen when necessary so they won't make marks in the bark.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"