Tomato - Knowledgebase Question

Villa Rica, Ge
Question by barras1432
I have differant varietys of plants that I start in cups than I plant them in the ground. The question I have on my tomato plants is: There growing ten foot tall. The tomato are splitting on some also. How can I keep them short.

0

As the tomato plants begin getting too high and wide early in the season you can pinch out the tips of each of the stems. The plant will develop new stems lower down on the main stem and if you pinch out the stem tips every few weeks you can keep your plants from getting too large. Or, you can grow determinate tomato plants (rather than indeterminate types). Tomatoes can split if they are over ripe or if you give them too much water. When the soft tissues inside the skin take up too much water, the skins can't keep up with the swelling and can split. There are some tomato varieties that are resistant to splitting - check the seed packets to find which ones are resistant. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"