planting bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Seneca, Pe
Question by abroberts2
I am reading that the soil needs to be cool enough before I plant bulbs, yet before a frost. I live in western PA. When would be the best time to plant my tulip bulbs? What would happen if I planted after the frost? Thank you.

0

You can plant after your first frost and it won't hurt the bulbs. The reason you hear this is because lots of people don't want to work out in the garden when the weather gets cold! I usually plant mine in October but if you purchase bulbs in September, it won't hurt to plant them then. Soil temperatures are cooler 4-6" below the surface (where you'll be planting your bulbs) than it is on the surface so don't let surface temperatures be your guide. I'd simply plant the bulbs as soon after purchasing them as possible. This way they won't experience the warm air temperatures which might induce sprouting. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"