Greenhouse Planting - Knowledgebase Question

Waleska, Ge
Question by met999000
I have a 6x8 ft greenhouse. I want to use it in the fall/winter and have 2 questions:
1. I was told that the heat from a lightbulb will heat it enough to keep vegetables alive in the fall/winter. Is this true?
2. Seeing how vegies need the birds and the bees to pollinate, how successful will I be in a closed in greenhouse. Are there any plants that will self pollinate?
Thanks

0

Although you live in a temperate climate, unless you heat your greenhouse (a single lightbulb won't generate enough heat), and unless you have a source of artificial light, you may not be able to grow warm season vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. You should be able to grow cold-hardy vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, lettuces and celery. If you concentrate on these crops you won't need to worry about bees pollinating the flowers because they do not produce flowers. If you were to grow tomatoes or other flowering plants (if, that is, you can provide a source of heat so the greenhouse stays a springlike 75 degrees), you can hand pollinate the open flowers by simply visiting each open flower with a tiny paintbrush. This will transfer pollen and result in fruit production. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"