Tobacco Hornworm Moth - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by lmatthews5
I have beautiful Moonvine (from HD seeds!) which is growing and blooming like crazy. I hae had beautiful honeybees and baby hummingbirds, but NOW. . . I have this weird Tobacco Hornworm Moth that literally swarms my vines at dusk. Are they harmful? Are they pests? How do I eradicate them? Thanks.

Lisa

0

Those big moths are probably laying eggs on your moonvine. You won't need to control the moths but you will want to control the larvae. They will devour the leaves of your moonvine in a hurry! Check the undersides of leaves for eggs and squish any you see. Be sure to check for newly hatched caterpillars (several times a day) and remove them as soon as you see them. If you're really desperate you can apply Bt (bacillus thuringensis), a bacterium that acts as a stomach poison and targets only caterpillars. It is sold as Dipel or Thuricide and applied according to label directions will not harm the bees and hummingbirds.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"