Planting a Pineapple Crown - Knowledgebase Question

Scottsdale, Ar
Question by imshimmer
My Pineapple Crown has roots--what type of soil do I plant it in--how deep in soil. Can I plant inside in a container, if so, what kind? How often do I water it? Or, must this be planted outside? I live in Scottsdale, AZ. Thanks.

0

Now that your pineapple crown has developed roots you can plant it into a container filled with moistened potting soil. Plant so the roots are in the potting soil but the crown is above the potting soil (as much as possible). If lower leaves are in the way, cut them off rather than planting them down into the potting soil - otherwise they will rot and the rot could travel to the crown of the plant. It's best to keep your pineapple plant indoors, at least during the hottest summer months, so the hot, dry air won't dessicate it. Place it in a brightly lit location but without direct sunshine. As it matures it can produce a pineapple of its own. Water the soil about as often as you water other houseplant. The top of the soil should be allowed to dry out slightly between waterings. Enjoy your new plant!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"