sloping yard - Knowledgebase Question

Honolulu, Ha
Question by sandphil89
I have a rocky (lava) sloping yard where I need to plant ground cover that needs little soil (dusty clay type), little water other than rainfall and will grow quickly, low and full. Is there such a thing? I live in Hawaii.

0

I think you'll have the most success if you plant native ground cover plants. One to consider is ?kia, a small, sprawling groundcover with oval, waxy, green leaves and small yellow flowers. To grow it as an effective groundcover, plant the young plants 1 foot on center (a foot apart) or closer. It is lovely sprawling over a stone wall, embankment, or rocks. Once established it is very drought and wind tolerant. Beach vitex (Vitex rotundifolia) is a creeping groundcover with silvery, oval leaves and clusters of lavender flowers. A final suggestion is Hinahina (Heliotropium anomalum). Hinahina is a small (to 6?8 inches tall) plant with silvery (hinahina in the Hawaiian language), somewhat succulent, leaves. It has tiny, white, fragrant
flowers. Hinahina makes a beautiful, silvery groundcover that is tolerant of drought, salt, and wind once established in the landscape and it grows naturally
in very dry areas. As with all newly installed plants, you'll need to water them regularly until the roots become established. Best wishes with your new groundcover.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"