blueberry bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by aseifer
I bought six blueberry bushes & planted in april. 3 died. i would like to replace as soon as possible. does time of year matter when I plant them in NC? and do i need to prep the soil in advance? if so, how? i have soil acidifier but not sure if i should use in advance or wait til i have the bushes or wait til theyre established.

0

Highbush blueberries will grow well in NC but the soil should be amended a few months before planting so I think the best approach is to have your soil tested (or test it yourself with a home testing kit), amend the soil now in the fall months, and plant your new blueberry bushes in the spring. North Carolina cooperative Extension has a publication I think you'll find helpful. It makes recommendations about soil amendments, blueberry culture, and even describes each of the cultivars that grow best in your locale. You can download a copy from the following website: http://burke.ces.ncsu.edu/dept...

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"